“Confession begins with sorrow, but it ends in joy.”
When I gave my life to the Lord, I would write in my bible the date I promised God I would stop committing the sin I was struggling in. I would write, “On this day I will stop committing this act of sin.” Then, when I would mess up, I’d log down the date and write, “Sorry God I messed up.” My bible was filled with dates of confessions and repentances. I had a diary of confessions.
Confession is the act of admitting one’s guilt. The bible reads, “But if we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness” (1 John 1:9).
I discovered that confession isn’t telling God what he doesn’t already know; it’s coming clean with God in all honesty. I have come to understand that God’s grace is sufficient, not just to forgive, but also to change. As we are fasting and separating unto God, remember if you truly believe that God’s grace is real, then you will be open and transparent with him daily.
Two ways of Confession
- Confession Inwardly “There is one God and one Mediator who can reconcile God and humanity—the man Christ Jesus.” 1 Timothy 2:5
- Confession Corporately “Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results.” James 5:16
The Importance of Confession
When we don’t confess, it can affect us physically and emotionally.
“When I refused to confess my sin, my body wasted away and I groaned all day long.”
– Psalm 32:3
“Because of your anger, my whole body is sick; my health is broken because of my sins. My guilt overwhelms me; it is a burden too heavy to bear.” – Psalm 38:3-4
The Way to Confession
- Examination of self – Confess you’re guilt. (Psalm 51:5)
- Have a contrite spirit – There should be remorse on your confession. (Psalm 51:17)
- Accept the consequences and that the Lord would be blameless if he judged you. (Psalm 51:4)
- Have a determination to avoid sin and receive your joy once again. (Psalm 51:8)
Prayer for your children
Give in secret